9.15.2008

Dance dance EVOLUTION...

It is no surprise that I am a bit freaked out about the changes happening in my children. It seems like it was yesterday when I was in High School, the memories are still fresh & have had a far reaching effect on my psyche, self-esteem and view about the world.
However, I have made up my mind to embrace these changes & celebrate them rather than live in fear for what lies ahead. (It also dawned on me the other day that fear was not necessary because we have the knowledge & tools to correct any mistake)
I am told with teenagers you are to trust, but verify. So with renewed faith, I am now volunteering for events at the High School, my sly little way of verification.
I signed up to help with the Homecoming Dance & then somehow found myself roped into taking the pictures. How? I still can't figure it out but I think it was because I had a good camera & I was cheap....by that I mean free. My good friend, bless her heart, literally dropped everything & came to help. She had recently purchased some lights & wanted to put them to work and thought that it would be a good opportunity to learn some new things.

Here is what we learned...

1. High School students suck the life out of you!! By nights end, we were beyond exhausted.
2. Photographers should wear comfortable shoes & sweats.
3. Charge money and charge for every shot that they want you to take, because if you let them,
they will stay forever posing & posing....
4. Despite the fact that Shay looks like a gigolo in the pictures, he did behave himself.

Here are a few of the pix... (Keep in mind, we were not in charge of the backdrop)



Shay, his friends & Judy's daughter & neices

I am pretty sure that there were some kids on drugs (some couldn't hold still long enough to snap a picture), definitely some kids making out on the dance floor (Shay told me all about it), and only a few girls scantily clad, but what can you expect with Kid Rock in the house...

Yeah, they're adults, not students. That's Shays boss in the middle.

Before the dance, when Judy's girls were getting ready, Baylee followed them around watching their every move.
She came up to me later & said,
"Do you know why I was following them around? It's because I want a sister!!"
It broke my heart...like I said before, some memories are still fresh on my mind.

3 comments:

April said...

You are seriously so awesome...I can't believe you did that!

The last bit about Baylee was sooo tender.

Love you posts and your mothering.

Christine said...

I'm impressed!! Maybe you should start your own lil' company? hehe...

I have to second April's sentiments about Baylee's comment... it's so lucky for her that she has you as a mama!

Kathryn said...

I have to second Baylee's comment. Could you get on that? Just kidding... Great pics! Don't you hate it when you get yourself into something but you are not sure how. Been there, done that!